I*STAR (Individually Scheduled Test and Results) is LOMA's Internet-based system for providing computerized exams. I*STAR testing is available to students at companies that have installed this testing system. Advantages of I*STAR include the convenience and flexibility of year-round testing, as well as immediate online grade reporting.
Enrolling for the I*STAR Exam
Before taking an I*STAR exam, you must be enrolled for the course in LOMA’s learning system.
If you are an independent student, you'll need to take your exam at a LOMA Third Party Exam Center if there is one in your area or designate a proctor — someone at your company who's in a supervisory position to you.
Enrollments, Fees, Cancellations, and Testing
- I*STAR enrollments cannot be cancelled. If during the enrollment process you enroll for the wrong course or exam or type of exam by mistake, you must contact LOMA within 72 hours of your enrollment to have the error corrected at no charge
- If you do not sit for your exam within six months of enrolling for the course, your course access expires and all exam fees are forfeited unless you extend your course access.
- Fees are nontransferable between paper and I*STAR exams except as noted when you extend course access.
- Your LOMA Test ID and password will be required at the time of your I*STAR exam.
- A designation proctor must monitor I*STAR testing. Specific I*STAR procedures and room conditions are outlined for proctors in the I*STAR Certification Form.
Extending Access for Designation Courses
If you have not completed your designation program’s online course requirements or proctored examination requirements by the end of the course’s six-month access period shown in your student record, you may re-enroll to extend your course access for an additional six-month period.
For highly-interactive online courses, re-enrolling allows you to retain your progress in the course, as long as the course’s materials have not been substantially revised since your original enrollment date.
For Course Portal courses, re-enrolling extends your access to the Course Portal and allows you to select a new proctored exam date, as long as you have not already taken the proctored exam for the course.
Course extensions can also be used to
- Change the language of the proctored exam for which you are enrolled.
- Change the type of proctored exam enrollment between paper and I*STAR.
The cost for re-enrolling varies, depending upon when you re-enroll.
- If you re-enroll within one month of the end of your original course access period, you qualify for a discounted course extension price of $55. The discounted price will automatically be reflected in your Shopping Cart when you re-enroll via LOMA’s learning system.
- After the expiration of the one month discount period, you may re-enroll at the course’s full price. This full price will automatically be reflected in your Shopping Cart when you re-enroll via LOMA’s learning system.
Exam Procedures and Regulations
The following procedures apply to the administration of paper and I*STAR examinations:
- All paper exams must be taken according to LOMA's Paper Exam Schedule.
- Plan to arrive at the exam site 30 minutes before your exam begins. You may be required to furnish photo ID when taking an exam. If you arrive after the scheduled starting time for your paper exam, the exam may not be accepted by LOMA for grading.
- The "Official Exam/Proctor Instructions" mailed along with examinations to all paper exam proctors must be followed.
- Learners may not consult, discuss, review, or in any way use anyone else's answers or accept unauthorized assistance during the examination. Please note that LOMA uses specially designed software to detect possible cheating on LOMA exams.
- During the exam, learners may not have in their possession any outside materials including, but not limited to: notes, textbooks, tables, charts, graphs, cell phones, pagers, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), or digital media players, e.g. iPods.
- Only blank scratch paper, a #2 pencil, and a basic four-function calculator (with no internet access or other special features) may be taken into the exam room.
- Calculators should be approved by the exam proctor using LOMA's guidelines.
- Additional procedures, regulations and information are posted in the Professional Development and Ed Rep sections of the LOMA website.
- Paper exam booklets must be returned to the proctors after the exam. The booklets will not be returned to students.
Grades for Proctored Exams
The minimum passing score on proctored examinations (I*STAR or paper) for Course Portal courses is 70 percent. Scores below 70 are listed only as F+ (within 10 points of passing) or F. Your numeric grade will be sent to you via email. Your grade email will also contain a chapter-by-chapter analysis of your performance on the proctored examination. Save or print this report for your records. Note that this Performance Analysis Report is sent to students, but not to Ed Reps.