Independent Student Enrollments
About Independent Student Status
What is an Independent Student?
A person is considered an Independent Student if he or she enrolls for examinations directly with LOMA, and not through a company's Educational Representative.
Independent Students must pay fees in full at the time of enrollment, and most pay nonmember fees. See page 70 of the 2015 LOMA Education and Training Catalog for the 2015 fee schedule for US and Canada. Some students are eligible to pay member fees due to exceptions.
Independent Students must take their exams at a LOMA Third Party Exam Center if there is one in their area or designate a proctor of their own choosing. This person is an individual at the student's company in a supervisory position to the student. Contact the Office of the Registrar with questions.
800-ASK-LOMA, option 1
Fees and Fee Exceptions for Independent Students
Independent students in the following categories are permitted to pay LOMA member company fees for LOMA exams:
- Employees of a governmental agency, such as an insurance regulatory authority, the Social Security Administration, or the Department of Education
- Employees of an intergovernmental organization, such as the United Nations
- Full-time students in accredited colleges and universities
- Full-time teachers in accredited colleges and universities
- Members of the trade press working for widely recognized industry publications
Enrolling for Paper Exams as an Independent Student
For the November 2015 Paper Examinations
Use these instructions for enrolling via LOMANET as an Independent Student for a November 2015 paper examination. See the 2015 LOMA Education and Training Catalog for complete details on LOMA education programs. Page 70 shows the 2015 exam fees for US and Canada.
Enrollment begins July 6, 2015. The deadline to submit paper enrollment forms is August 7, 2015 and to enroll via LOMANET is August 21, 2015. Any enrollments after those dates must be submitted via mail with a $125 late fee.
To Enroll via LOMANET
Requirements for Enrolling via LOMANET
- You must sit at a LOMA Third Party Exam Center, not a private proctor.
- You must pay with a credit card.
- You must not qualify for Member Fees.
- You must have access to the Internet.
- You must enroll before August 21, 2015. After that date, you must submit your enrollment by paper to the Office of the Registrar with additional late fees.
Steps to Enroll via LOMANET
- Access www.lomanet.org.
- If you have never enrolled in a LOMA exam, click Register and follow the instructions. If you have previously enrolled for a LOMA exam, type your Student ID as the Login ID and enter your password. If you do not know your password, click Password Request on this screen or contact LOMA at firstname.lastname@example.org via e-mail to receive a new password.
- Once you have logged in to your record, update your student information (name, address, phone, fax, e-mail address, etc.). Click submit at the bottom of the screen when complete.
- Click Enroll For Exam.
- Follow the instructions to complete the enrollment process. Choose the LOMA Paper – November 2015 exam period. Most of the buttons to go to the next screen are located at the bottom of the screen. The process will not be complete until you click the Enroll button and receive the final enrollment confirmation screen stating that your enrollment has been successfully processed. Print this screen for your records. This is your OFFICIAL RECEIPT.
- Click "Check Enrollment Status" to verify the enrollment. Your credit card will be processed within 2-3 business days.
You may un-enroll until August 21, 2015. No enrollments may be cancelled after that date. Order your textbooks separately by contacting PBD (most enrollments include study materials). See the 2015 Textbook Order Form. Or, order online at www.lomabookstore.com.
To Enroll by Mail
Step 1: Fill in Independent Student Transmittal Form
Please complete all sections, or enrollment will be not be processed.
- Note for Section C: List a Third Party Exam Center code from the Third Party Exam Center Directory if you wish to take your exams at a LOMA Exam Center OR Provide the name and address of the Proctor with whom you have made arrangements to proctor your LOMA exams.
- Note for Section D: Independent Student exam fees are listed on page 70 of the 2015 LOMA Education and Training Catalog. (Fees for students outside the U.S. and Canada may be different. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more details.)
Step 2: Mail in the form and your payment
Office of the Registrar
6190 Powers Ferry Road, Suite 600
Atlanta, GA 30339
We STRONGLY recommend using a trackable shipping method. LOMA is not responsible for lost enrollments. Faxed enrollments will not be accepted.
No cancellations can be made after the enrollment deadline, August 21, 2015.
All enrollment cancellation requests must be received in writing prior to that date.
As an independent student, you'll need to take your exam at a LOMA Third Party Exam Center if there is one in your area or designate a proctor — someone at your company who's in a supervisory position to you.