Independent Student Enrollments
About Independent Student Status
What is an Independent Student?
A person is considered an Independent Student if he or she enrolls for examinations directly with LOMA, and not through a company's Educational Representative.
Independent Students must pay fees in full at the time of enrollment, and most pay nonmember fees. See the Education and Training Catalog for the fee schedule for US and Canada. Some students are eligible to pay member fees due to exceptions.
Independent Students must take their paper exams at a LOMA Third Party Exam Center if there is one in their area or designate a proctor of their own choosing. This person is an individual at the student's company in a supervisory position to the student. Contact the Office of the Registrar with questions. Students in the US and Canada also have options to take exams at a Prometric testing center.
800-ASK-LOMA, option 1
Fees and Fee Exceptions for Independent Students
Independent students in the following categories are permitted to pay LOMA member company fees for LOMA exams:
- Employees of a governmental agency, such as an insurance regulatory authority, the Social Security Administration, or the Department of Education
- Employees of an intergovernmental organization, such as the United Nations
- Full-time students in accredited colleges and universities
- Full-time teachers in accredited colleges and universities
- Members of the trade press working for widely recognized industry publications
Enrolling for Paper Exams as an Independent Student
For the November 2016 Paper Examinations
Use these instructions for enrolling via LOMA's learning system as an Independent Student for a November 2016 paper examination. See the Education and Training Catalog for complete details on LOMA education programs.
Enrollment begins July 5, 2016. The deadline to submit paper enrollment forms is August 12, 2016 and to enroll online is August 26, 2016. Any enrollments after those dates must be submitted via mail with a $125 late fee.
To Enroll Online
Requirements for Enrolling Online
- You must sit at a LOMA Third Party Exam Center, not a private proctor.
- You must pay with a credit card.
- You must not qualify for Member Fees.
- You must have access to the Internet.
- You must enroll before August 26, 2016. After that date, you must submit your enrollment by paper to the Office of the Registrar with additional late fees.
Online Enrollment for Independent Students
Online enrollments are handled in our new learning system. The link below will open in a new window so you can follow along step by step.
If this is your first visit to our new learning system:
- If you have never enrolled in a LOMA exam, click Create Account. Leave the Organizational Number blank, but complete the other fields to create an account.
- If you have enrolled in a LOMA exam recently, login with your Student ID and password. Use Forgot your login ID and Forgot your password if you have forgotten either.
- If you have not enrolled for a LOMA exam recently, contact email@example.com so your record can be transferred to the educational system.
Once you have logged in, please update all of your information (name, address, phone, email, etc.).
- To enroll in a course, click on the Learning Catalog tab.
- Search for your course by the name or number. Locate the paper exam in your preferred language. Click Add to Cart.
- Enter the name of the Third Party Exam Center, click the box to Include Third Party Exam Sites, and click Search. Choose the site for your exam and click Save.
- Continue to choose all the courses for which you want to enroll. Then click the Shopping Cart at the top of the page to purchase the courses.
- To purchase the course(s)
- Confirm your billing address and click Save.
- Click Check Out then enter your credit card information and click Next.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions by checking the box. Then click Buy Now. Print your receipt for your records.
Most enrollments include online, printable PDFs and interactive study materials; professionally-printed, bound textbooks are available for some English-language designation courses (at an additional cost).
To Enroll by Mail
Step 1: Fill in Independent Student Transmittal Form
Please complete all sections, or enrollment will be not be processed.
- Note for Section C: List a Third Party Exam Center code from the Third Party Exam Center Directory if you wish to take your exams at a LOMA Exam Center OR Provide the name and address of the Proctor with whom you have made arrangements to proctor your LOMA exams.
- Note for Section D: Independent Student exam fees are listed in the Education and Training Catalog. (Fees for students outside the U.S. and Canada may be different. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more details.)
Step 2: Mail in the form and your payment
Office of the Registrar
6190 Powers Ferry Road, Suite 600
Atlanta, GA 30339
We STRONGLY recommend using a trackable shipping method. LOMA is not responsible for lost enrollments. Faxed enrollments will not be accepted.
No cancellations can be made after the enrollment deadline, August 26, 2016.
All enrollment cancellation requests must be received in writing prior to that date.
As an independent student, you'll need to take your exam at a LOMA Third Party Exam Center if there is one in your area or designate a proctor — someone at your company who's in a supervisory position to you.